One of the key benefits of Cloud Coach being built natively on the Salesforce platform is access to data. You can view and report on any Object in your Salesforce org in Cloud Coach. The best way to do that is by using Formula Fields.
One thing to remember when using a Formula Field is that it cannot be edited. They should be used to simply show data on a Project level from other Objects within Salesforce. In the example we give, we show how to expose the Account Owner of an Account linked to a Project.
Formula Fields are the simplest way to display information from other Objects and are great if users won’t need to edit the data in the Fields. Formula fields will display the Fields exactly as they are on the original Object, but will not allow you to edit them from the Project.
Steps (Instructions for Lightning)
- Go to Setup → Object Manager → Project → Fields and Relationships
- Click ‘New’
- Select a data type of ‘Formula’, click ‘Next’
- Enter a ‘Field Label’ then choose the relevant formula return i.e. date for any date Fields, text for text/picklist Fields etc, and click ‘Next’
- Click ‘Insert Field’ then find the Field containing the data to display
- Click Next
- Set Field visibility & Page Layouts for Field display
- Click Save
If you wanted to expose the Account Owner on the Project Page Layout, you could create a Formula Field on the Project Object and name it Account Owner to expose who the Account Owner is for an Account Linked to a Project. See below for what that formula would look like: